U.S. stocks were little changed on Monday as acquisition activity gave support but investors were reluctant to rush into the market with indexes hovering around record levels.Deals including Yahoo Inc.'s $1.1-billion (U.S.) bid for Tumblr Inc. indicate that companies continue to search for growth through acquisitions, a bullish sign for stocks. Yahoo was up 0.8 per cent at ...
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Financial stocks were up in early trades on Monday, continuing their winning streak ahead of Fed Chief Ben Bernanke's testimony to Congress on ...
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Yahoo Inc.'s $1.1 billion acquisition of blogging-service operator Tumblr claimed the tech sector's spotlight on Monday, with the deal seen as a potential gamble by Chief Executive Marissa Mayer in her attempts to reinvigorate the one-time Internet ...
Deals including Yahoo's $1.1 billion bid for Tumblr indicate that companies continue to search for growth through acquisitions despite record highs, a bullish sign for ...
Stock markets in Shanghai and Shenzhen carried their recent winning-streak into Monday as Wall Street's rising tide buoyed most A-shares.The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index added 0.75 percent, or 17.12 points, to close at 2,299.99; while the Shenzhen Component Index added 0.66 percent, or 60.87 points, to finish at 9,307.15.The gains came after upbeat US economic data lifted the Dow ...
The title of Luminarias comes from a fictional Los Angeles restaurant in which four women in their early 40s regularly gather to discuss their lives--sex, love, marriage, infidelity, work, and the like. What makes Luminarias different is that the four women are Latina. While all things Latin have been getting more and more popular in the last few years, there have been almost no mov ... ...
Federal Reserve Chairmen Ben Bernanke As the markets reach new highs, and scandal dominates the nation's capitol, I am compelled to examine the still unresolved challenges about whether our 100 year old central bank- the Federal Reserve- will be capable of warding off another potential systemic financial crisis like the one that almost toppled the economy in 2008. And secondarily, whether ...
CNBC's Jim Cramer explains why Yahoo is "desperate' to become part of the technical "firmament." Stocks were narrowly mixed Monday, as investors seemed to take a breather after major averages finished higher for the fourth-consecutive week and amid ongoing concerns ...
The court ruled on a unanimous vote that Pennsylvania-based PPL can claim $39 million in U.S. foreign tax credits against a 1997 British windfall ...
US stocks have edged lower in opening trade amid a flurry of merger and acquisition news, including the Yahoo! takeover of blogging platform ...
DAILY INDICATORS LATEST PREVIOUS LAST ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Strand Palace
I've stayed at this central London hotel many times, so was comfortable in telephoning direct for a reservation. It was ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Los Angeles HeraldLos Angeles Herald –Continuous News for Los Angeles
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Los Angeles news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible. This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Los Angeles Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Los Angeles. We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Los Angeles weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Los Angeles Herald is for you. Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Miley Cyrus and Paris Hilton have for the second time fallen victim to swatting pranks after police rushed to their Hollywood homes on false reports about gun crimes.
Cyrus was not present at her home on Friday night when the police searched her house to investigate allegations that shots had been fired from inside the premises, Contactmusic reported.
The authorities soon discovered that the urgent call was a hoax.
The cops were also called at Hilton's LA residence last weekend when a woman, who claimed to be the hotel heiress, dialed 911 and said that she had been held hostage at gunpoint in her bedroom.
According to TMZ.com, the 'House of Wax' star was also absent from her home when the police arrived and she came to know about the ruckus only when she returned and saw multiple cop cars lined up outside her driveway.
This was the second 'swatting' incident at Hilton's home in less than two months. (ANI)
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- ACC report warns of increasing illicit drug abuse in professional sports
- Govt. considering law to curb spot match fixing Sibal
- Oz sports commentator sparks Twitter outrage with Indian gag
- The 10 Best childrens activity books
- Ahead of strategic dialogue US official goes to India
- Chinese hackers resume cyber attacks on U.S. companies government agencies
- Did Justin Theroux have bachelor party at NYC
- Obama to reveal Guantanamo Bay plans drones strategy on Thursday
- India-US Homeland Security dialogue to begin today
- At noon Wall Street little changed deals provide support
- Financial Stocks Bank of America leads financials higher
- Tech Stocks Yahoo shares edge up after Tumblr deal
- Wall St dips but deals lend support
- Local stocks extend run-up following Wall Street rally
- Letters More for malnutrition
- Proposals to ship coal by train through Northwest ports
- Investigation of the deadly Benghazi attack
- Immigrant workers on U.S. farms
- The cost of a college education
- UAE Algeria discuss relations
- Financial Stocks Bank of America leads financials higher
- Risk inherent in property investment
- Qatar sets up $1b fund for investment in infrastructure
- Banks Stay Strong Google Looking Golden
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Los Angeles Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Miley Cyrus and Paris Hilton trapped in swatting incident again
- Bradley Cooper takes cooking lessons from Ramsay
- Lady Gagas tattoo parlour visit helped her bag Machete Kills role
- Barca celebrate title in front of fans
- Jennifer Lawrence brother being stalked