The nation’s biggest banks are waging an outrageous fight against a bipartisan Senate bill seeking to protect taxpayers from bailing them out. Renewed interest in curtailing reckless financial practices was sparked by Attorney General Eric Holder’s admission earlier this year that he is afraid to prosecute the banks that brought about the worst downturn since the Great Depression. ...
I am glad the Utah Department of Transportation made a thorough decision and listened to the many people behind the huge public outcry supporting the Glover's Lane option over the Shepard Lane option for the West Davis Corridor. The current decision ensures that homes are saved from unnecessary destruction when an alternative through unpopulated areas is ...
For the college students who will be paying for a four-year bachelor’s degree long after graduation day, here’s some consolation: At least it didn’t take you six or eight years. College is expensive, yet unpredictably so. Some students pay little for degrees from elite private institutions, after tuition discounts and financial aid. Many of their peers, however, will pay far ...
Intellectual property theft is a growing problem that the government needs to crack down on for the good of American companies, says Huntsman and ...
The continuing examples of the Obama administration’s targeting of journalists is advancing a new front in the war on journalism, according to Jonathan S. Tobin ...
Winds: From the SSE at 1.0 MPH Gusting to 3.0 MPH
Anna and the King
"Anna and the King" is visually beautiful, richly detailed, terribly long, and oddly unaffecting. One might even go so far as to say it's a little boring. For a movie that not only attempts to be a romance between people from difference worlds, but also an examination of an ancient culture moving into modernity, it barely registers as an emotional experience. Director Andy Tennant, who made the r ... ...
returning via Netflix? Just another old-media brand reviving itself on new media. The TV show, which originally ran on Fox from 2003 to 2006 and unveils new episodes on Netflix next weekend, finds itself in splendid company. Radiohead, Louis ...
Must religion be embodied in a god or gods, such as Ceres, the Roman goddess of agriculture? We all know how the battle lines shake out: evangelical vs. scientist, believer vs. atheist. The culture war defined as science vs. religion is so overheated that it seems to be more of a caricature than a coherent, useful discussion. Unless, that is, someone is trying to stretch beyond the ...
In the war of businessmen against the people, the businessmen seem to have won the battle for collecting sales tax on products purchased from out-of-state ...
Lisa Hamm, sister of slain Monroe Corrections Officer Jayme Biendl, reacts after a Snohomish County jury recommended the death penalty for Biendl’s killer, Byron Scherf. At left is Biendl’s father, James Hamm. Lisa’s husband, Paul Crosby, is at right, and Biendl’s brother James. (Ken Lambert / The Seattle Times) The person who killed the guard at the Washington State ...
Director Steven Soderbergh had been looking for a way to frame a film about the extravagant entertainer Liberace for years when a friend recommended the ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
THE WESTIN, LOS ANGELES AIRPORT
This was the second time I had reviewed this hotel. I understand it recently underwent a $15 million refurbishment, and ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Los Angeles HeraldLos Angeles Herald –Continuous News for Los Angeles
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Los Angeles news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible. This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Los Angeles Herald is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Los Angeles. We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Los Angeles weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Los Angeles Herald is for you. Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Drew Barrymore has put her Montecito, California home, where she got married to husband Will Kopelman, on the market.
The Chester Carjola-designed six bedroom house, with a detached, two-storey guest property, has been listed at 7.5 million dollars, Contactmusic reported.
According to RealEstalker.com, the actress purchased the 1937 built estate for 5.7 million dollars in 2010. (ANI)
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Murofushi loses appeal in IOC member election
- ESPN layoffs 7000 workers as TV rights fees rise
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Jets rookie QB Geno Smith signs with Jay-Z’s sports agency
- Twister that hit Oklahoma caused $2 bn in damage
- FBI kill Florida man known to Boston bombing suspects
- US Senate panel clears key immigration reform bill
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Imran Khans PTI seeks pro-Taliban clerics help to initiate peace talks with outfit
- Brooklyn Beckham begins training with QPR following dads retirement
- Pak batsman Mohd Yousuf rubbishes media reports of retirement from intl cricket
- Grandparent scams hit seniors
- Twitter Responds To Urlacher’s Retirement
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- U.S. dollar slips against euro after Fed official remarks
- T. rex cousin fed more like falcon than crocodile
- Worries About Fed Tapering Lead To Sell-Off On Wall Street - U.S. Commentary
- Stocks May Move Higher Ahead Of Testimony From Bernanke - U.S. Commentary
- Banks still want big bailouts
- My view UDOT listened made a good choice
- Graduate in four years Yeah right.
- Huntsman calls for crackdown on intellectual property theft says Washington Post
- The war on journalism
- One trillion euro tax evasion to be tackled says Barroso
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- Housing market picking up in UK
- U.S. Myanmar sign trade agreement
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Los Angeles Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Drew Barrymore puts wedding house on sale
- R-Patz in good mood after K-Stew split
- De La Hoya wins lawsuit against model
- Chris Brown and girlfriend Karrueche Tran involved in car crash
- Julian Assange pleaded Benedict Cumberbatch to leave WikiLeaks flick